Monday, March 24, 2008

Pink, Green and Fabulous Housewares in Chicago

Last week, I attended the IHA Housewares Show in Chicago to get a sneak peek at the latest products!

Pink

According to ABC’s Good Morning America, the Housewares show focused on three things: comfort, home entertaining and convenience – but I only saw two: green or pink.
The overuse of pink comes from too many products tied to breast cancer – like bowls, mixers and cooking utensils – all sporting shades of pink to support various breast cancer charities.
(For more info about breast cancer research visit: http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm)

Chef Rick Bayless was at the show, demonstrating how to create three different kinds of ceviche from the Kitchen Aid stage. When he was confronted with a pink bowl, he quipped, “I am all for supporting breast cancer, but I don’t like to cook in pink.”

It doesn’t work in my kitchen, either!

Green

It became clear to me that companies really need to articulate an individual position on how a green approach works into their overall brand strategy. I was blinded by so much green, but green just for being green doesn’t go as far anymore. Brands scream, “I appear better for the environment, so buy me!” But in the process, green hues and green positioning are being so overused that consumers may become “too greened” to get a product’s USP.

Fabulous

Filed under fabulous, I met Leigh Poindexter of Jessie Steele, Inc. Jessie Steele products are the latest in apron fashion. That’s right, I just said apron… The booth was full of flowers, picture frames, a fake lawn and fun, plus they handed out tiny, warm chocolate cupcakes. How trendy! The 50s inspired prints made the aprons so much fun. You can check out their stuff at: www.jessiesteele.com.


Keeping with the retro look, I stopped by the Mrs. Meyers Clean Day booth. The overall brand has a wonderful mix of nostalgia and modern that truly works! They keep their brand consistent with its presentation, and the brand image and package design is managed extremely well. Their cleaning products end up standing out from the others with a unique look, and it was refreshing to see such great branding in action and see them cashing in for their insights! (And I should add… Mrs. Meyers Clean Day was created and run by a woman, Monica Nassif. That might have something to do with its successful packaging!) Go and see their products at: http://www.mrsmeyers.com.

No comments: